ADOPTION PROCESS FOR PUPPIES
Adoptive homes for puppies are screened very carefully, so get your
applications in ASAP. Applicants go through the standard application process with additional requirements:
- Puppies are considered to be foster-to-adopt until three sets of puppy shots are completed and the puppy is spayed or neutered.
- Families with children under 7 will be considered on a case by case basis, but Cocker Spaniel Rescue of East Texas(CSRET)reserves the right to reject such applicants.
- If the puppy is between two and seven months of age the adopter must be able to feed the dog two times a day, leaving the puppy alone for no more than 8 hours at a stretch.
- The adopter is responsible for the cost of any puppy shots required after the adopter takes possession of the puppy.
- Puppies need three sets of shots given every two to three weeks beginning at age six weeks.
- The adopter is responsible for giving the second and/or third set of shots at their expense.
- The adopter is responsible for purchasing heartworm preventative for the puppy. Puppies start heartworm preventative at age four weeks.
- If a puppy is not spayed or neutered by age seven months, the puppy is to be returned to CSR.
- If spay or neuter is arranged through a CSRET veterinarian, CSRET covers the cost.
- Adopter contacts CSR by either e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, leaving a message on the hotline voice mail at 713-208-1314 or calling the foster mom to work out which vet to use and identify a date.
- The adopter is required to drop off and pick up the dog from the vet clinic.
- CSRET does not do blood work before surgery. If the adopter desires to have blood work done, please let the vet clinic know and be prepared to pay for it in advance.
- Please inquire if the vet clinic releases the dog the same day or the next day.
- Occasionally a rescue surgery will be delayed by a day.
- If the adopter prefers to schedule a spay/neuter with their own veterinarian, they pay the cost and receive no reimbursement.
- Adoption fee on purebred or mix puppies is $250, paid in advance.
Back to CSR Website Home Page
Back to CSR Available Dogs Page